Re: Proposal to specify behavior for terminals without touch hardware

2011/5/13 Gregers Gram Rygg <gregersrygg@gmail.com>:
> On Friday, May 13, 2011, Scott González <scott.gonzalez@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I don't know why this needs to be mentioned in the Touch Events spec. Detecting "on<event>" in element/window is the preferred method of detection for any event type.
>
> Yes, to detect if the user agent has support for the event, not if the
> terminal has the related hardware. The difference is that browsers
> with touch implemented should hide the events if the device doesn't
> have touch hardware.
>
> Hope that was more clear.

We were planning on moving to a system where gestures were standard on
all browsers regardless of how touch enabled their hardware was.

The hope is to move to a model where applications subscribe to event
classes and how the user manages to trigger these event classes is
strictly between the user and the user agent.

In this model what you're asking for is wrong and will not work at
all. It does force us to ruin our attempt at fixing the previous
broken click model which is not friendly to users with accessibility
challenges or disadvantaged devices.

So again, this is the wrong path.