Re: Prototype teaching materials for review

On 2 May 2012, at 20:29, Virginia DeBolt wrote:

> See below...
>

> Chris Mills wrote:
>

>> On 30 Apr 2012, at 16:42, Virginia DeBolt wrote:
>>
>>> Chris,
>>> This looks more like a set of materials for the Foundations class than for
>>> the Web Design I class. Or perhaps it's a little of both. If a mix of both
>>> is the case, the first part of the page could be a module for the
>>> Foundations class, the last part of the page (starting from "Set up a site
>>> folder") could be a module for the Web Design I class.
>>
>> I got the list of points to cover from the "HTML Basics and Web Standards
>> Concepts" learning module of web design 1 - see
>> http://www.w3.org/community/webed/wiki/Interact/Web_Design_1#HTML_Basics.2C_We
>> b_Standards_Concepts, so really this is aimed at Web Design 1, rather than
>> Foundations. The current list of learner competencies for this learning module
>> is
>>
>> Create a site folder
>> Identify the appropriate use of attributes and the syntax of attributes
>> Recognize the difference between HTML and XHTML
>> Identify the various DOCTYPES
>> Explain the need for web standards
>> Identify deprecated tags.
>

> Oh. I see where you got started, now.
>

>> I felt that this list needed a little fleshing out, so the list of
>> competencies I eventually wrote up was
>>
>> Explain what web standards are, and why they are needed
>> Know what files comprise a web site
>> Create a site folder
>> Understand the anatomy of an HTML element — tags, content, attributes
>> Understand what an empty element is
>> Identify the appropriate use of attributes and the syntax of attributes
>> Recognize the difference between HTML and XHTML
>> Identify the various DOCTYPES, including HTML5
>> Identify deprecated tags
>> Know the structure of a basic HTML page
>>
>> Do you agree with this list, or am I over-egging this somewhat?
>
> There's nothing wrong with the list as far as I'm concerned. You have
> elaborated on every item in great detail. Is that what you picture for every
> one of the courses? This level of suggested teaching material and detail?

This is to be decided - would this be sensible? Should we be providing detailed teaching notes like this for each course?

> I've been stumped as to what more needed doing to the Web Design I course,
> but if you're aiming for this amount of guidance for each point, then I
> understand a lot better what you are asking for.

Again, this is only one suggestion. But I feel we do need something to bridge the gap between the tutorials and the curricula. A couple of teachers on the list have said that the tutorials are great, but we need something a bit easier to digest, as there is no way students will sit and read all those, etc.

I'm certainly not saying that you should provide all these notes for all the learning modules on the courses you are handling - we need to work together to write these.

I want to keep them separate from the curricula anyway - I think they will be more useful that way, as some teachers may want to put courses together from the curricula, but not use the teaching notes, etc.