Re: Prototype teaching materials for review

On 30 Apr 2012, at 16:42, Virginia DeBolt wrote:

> Chris,
> This looks more like a set of materials for the Foundations class than for
> the Web Design I class. Or perhaps it's a little of both. If a mix of both
> is the case, the first part of the page could be a module for the
> Foundations class, the last part of the page (starting from "Set up a site
> folder") could be a module for the Web Design I class.

I got the list of points to cover from the "HTML Basics and Web Standards Concepts" learning module of web design 1 - see
http://www.w3.org/community/webed/wiki/Interact/Web_Design_1#HTML_Basics.2C_Web_Standards_Concepts, so really this is aimed at Web Design 1, rather than Foundations. The current list of learner competencies for this learning module is

Create a site folder
 Identify the appropriate use of attributes and the syntax of attributes
 Recognize the difference between HTML and XHTML
 Identify the various DOCTYPES
 Explain the need for web standards
 Identify deprecated tags.

I felt that this list needed a little fleshing out, so the list of competencies I eventually wrote up was

Explain what web standards are, and why they are needed
 Know what files comprise a web site
 Create a site folder
 Understand the anatomy of an HTML element — tags, content, attributes
 Understand what an empty element is
 Identify the appropriate use of attributes and the syntax of attributes
 Recognize the difference between HTML and XHTML
 Identify the various DOCTYPES, including HTML5
 Identify deprecated tags
 Know the structure of a basic HTML page

Do you agree with this list, or am I over-egging this somewhat?

And do you think it is the best idea to make a set of resources for each learning competency? I thought it better to make them pretty granular, so educators can pick and choose as they need.

Last point - there is nothing to stop us reusing some of this material to make some other education resources for other modules. so we can chop and change.

> Do you plan to link to the materials from somewhere in the curriculum page
> or to add them into the curriculum page?

I was planning to at least link them from the curriculum pages, but again, this is up for discussion, as to what is best.