From: Mark Lee [mailto:Mark.Lee@ColoradoCollege.edu]
Sent: Monday, March 19, 2012 9:34 AM
To: public-webed@w3.org
Subject: Introduction: Mark Lee

I'm happy to be joining this group and looking forward to helping out with
the work you good folks already have well underway. I've worked on the web,
specifically in higher education, since 2000 and have seen a lot of
variability in the quality of web design/development curriculum. There are
good teachers and programs out there educating people on standards-based
techniques, but there are many other programs that fail to teach even
fundamental good practices and fail to prepare students for this type of
work. I'm excited about how this group is well-positioned to make real
positive change for current and future students.

I work at a liberal arts college, not teaching but on the staff side, in web
communications and new media. This means I do everything from front-end
development (HTML, CSS, JS), some server-side development (PHP, ASP,
Velocity), visual design, content strategy, user experience, accessibility,
online marketing strategy, social media, etc, you name it. As you might
guess with such a broad range of topics, I'm FAR from an expert in any of
it. I'm self-taught in most areas related to web design/dev, which really
means I lean on the shoulders of all those giants who have shared their
knowledge online over the past  decade or so, from webmonkey and ALA on
forward, but I also have a masters of education in instructional technology.

I'm really looking forward to pitching in and getting to know the rest of
you. Let me know if you have any questions or if you have something I can
help out with right away.

Mark Lee