Re: [W3C Web Crypto WG] Review of WebRTC 1.0 from Web Crypto Working Group

On 10/25/2015 06:48 AM, GALINDO Virginie wrote:

> Ryan,
> There is no formal process for reviewing other WG specs in the Web
> Crypto WG.
> W3C is currently promoting a formal review process on the security
> side, but it relies on good whell of (scarce) reviewers in Web
> Security IG and/or TAG ones.
> Whatever Harry will report during his review will be personnal views,
> yes, and the WG does not need to endorse it, or individuals could even
> challenge/complete it, to make it better.
> I think that the Web RTC request falls here in the good practice of
> awareness and helping each other for a better Web, not really
> following a process.
> Regards
> Virginie
>

> ---- Ryan Sleevi a écrit ----
>
> Harry, Virginie,
>
> Is there a W3C process for reviews? I'm aware of the TAG-approach of
> Markdown'd findings, but I'm also aware that some of these requests
> are informally-formal, and simply a call for all members to review,
> consider, and offer their own (personal) feedback, such as emails, bug
> reports, open issues, etc.
>
> My understanding is that this is the latter camp - for which nothing
> should stop Harry from offering feedback, and that feedback may
> ultimately be disagreed with w/ other members of the WG; put
> differently, there is no need for the WG to formalize consensus of
> feedback and formally offer it - it is simply sufficient to review and
> send away.
>
> Is this a correct understanding from the W3C process perspective?

Indeed, although I'd throw my feedback to the public-webcrypto@w3.org
mailing-list first for WG-wide feedback before drafting.

Obviously WebCrypto and WebRTC are different parts of the 'stack' but
WebRTC has some interesting properties which should be noted.

      cheers,
             harry