Re: JWK import/export as ECMAScript objects, rather than ArrayBuffer

On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 11:10 AM, Mark Watson <watsonm@netflix.com> wrote:

> [...]
> since UAs must support the serialization / de-serialization for wrap /
> unwrap anyway.

> for JSON or JS Objects is not the common case for any other Web API.

> already have the actual JWKs (and several browsers have implemented these
> and they are being used) it seems sensible to add functionality here. There
> is no additional work to add rather than replace, so there is no need to
> prioritize.

> a trivial conversion between them.

> other.  So we should really just choose one.

> caniuse.com. Does anyone have information about browser support of this ?

> e.g.:

> --> ABV
> Object

> measurements (on my admittedly high-end laptop).

> <50ms.  20MB took a couple of seconds.

> which are never going to be more than ~10KB.  So performance is not an
> issue.

> >> Note, recently this issue was brought to the attention of the W3C TAG
> and there has been some discussion about this at
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2014Mar/0026.html
> >>
> >> There is still a lot of confusion about the use cases for the
> ArrayBuffer case, so hopefully Mark can provide the use case / sample code
> to demonstrate the pattern.
> >>
> >> Otherwise, it does seem like there is a general sentiment towards using
> 'proper' JavaScript objects, especially in light of the general uses of JWK.
> >>
> >> I'd like to make some degree of progress on this so we can close it out.
> >

> > As I mentioned before, if support for TextEncoding is widespread or
> expected to be soon, then (as Richard says) there is no advantage in
> supporting both options, since conversion is trivial and efficient.
> >
> > In that case, I do not have an opinion on which option we should support
> (because conversion is trivial and efficient).
> >
> > So, what is the status of TextEncoding ?
> >
> > ...Mark
>
> Mark,
>
> Conversion is still trivial and efficient - for _your_ use case, without
> Encoding support.
>
> Put simply: Can you agree to live with this without that support, or will
> you raise a formal objection? If so, the WG *needs* to know why and how to
> resolve this.
>
> Holding this spec 'hostage' for Encoding support is not a viable path.
>
> This is certainly not an issue worthy of a formal objection and I've no
> intention of holding the spec hostage.
>
> I would like to know about the status of TextEncoding. Is it something
> that all browsers are considering implementing or is it something about
> which there is controversy? It's not listed on caniuse, which usually
> covers most mainstream stuff.
>
> I don't think it's necessary to have TextEncoding supported by browsers in
> the same timeframe as WebCrypto to go with the object approach, but I would
> feel more comfortable with the object approach if it was known that
> TextEncoding was at least 'coming soon to a browser near you.'

I'm confused as to why TextEncoding is still an issue here.  I though I had
posted some links to polyfills up-thread, and provided some data on their
efficiency.  Re-encoding strings from UTF-16 to UTF-8 is really not hard.

--Richard