From: Vijay Bharadwaj [mailto:Vijay.Bharadwaj@microsoft.com]
Sent: Friday, March 7, 2014 9:21 PM
To: Ryan Sleevi; Jim Schaad; Mark Watson (watsonm@netflix.com)
Cc: public-webcrypto@w3.org
Subject: RE: Comments on RSA-PSS - March 7 Editors Draft

Thanks for bringing this up, Richard.

I did point out the same issue in http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webcrypto/2014Mar/0019.html - CNG only allows a KDF to be performed on the Z value, and this is more secure (the bits of the secret are not unbiased so should not be used directly). Our implementation would likely just disallow the deriveBits key usage with ECDH and DH, and I believe that would be consistent with the spec today.

However, you do bring up a good point – the table of algorithms still says ECDH and DH support deriveKey, but those subsections have vanished from the relevant algorithm specifications.

Mark, is this an editorial cut-and-paste mishap, or was it intentional?