Re: Key Discovery draft

On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 11:46 PM, Nick Van den Bleeken <
Nick.Van.den.Bleeken@inventivegroup.com> wrote:

>  Hi Mark,
>
>  First of all thank you for making Key Discovery API promises based just
> like the Web Crypto API!
>
> For the other change, I'm not that convinced anymore that there should be
> only one key with a certain name (I know we discussed this at the FtF
> but…).
>
>  With the current spec someone can choose to deploy multiple keys with
> the same name and use a particular naming schema for the ID to distinguish
> the keys. (There is currently no query or list functionality so you need to
> know the name of the key upfront (you can't for example use a particular
> naming schema on the name to because then you don't know the exact name for
> the key)).
>
>  In a future version of the Key Discovery API we might add other
> 'attributes' that could be assigned to keys by the provisioner, which make
> it even more useful to return multiple keys (but currently implementers
> could choose to experiment with adding their own extension attributes).
>
>  A possible use case could be pre-provisioned keys issued by a particular
> issuer for a particular usage that have an X.509 certificate associated
> with them. But even without the certificate, when you are in a trusted
> environment only having the ID, which encodes the 'subject' will benefit by
> being able to return multiple keys for the same name.

Yep, I agree with all of the above. What we need, though, is very concrete
use-cases and then we can decide if we should add new kinds of
pre-provisioned key with attributes and the associated methods to query
them.

For the moment, the only use-case we have is when the pre-provisioned keys
are associated with the device. So there can be no ambiguity - the
application knows exactly the names it is looking for and there is only one
key for each name. We should keep the API simple until we have a concrete
use-case motivating more complexity.

...Mark