[extractability] JOSE IANA attribute registration

Thanks Jim for that clear answer. We will follow up on that one as soon as the WG will make a decision on the way to proceed with the integration of the special extractability attribute for the JWK.
Regards,
Virginie

From: Jim Schaad [mailto:ietf@augustcellars.com]
Sent: jeudi 22 août 2013 17:29
To: GALINDO Virginie; odonoghue@isoc.org
Cc: public-webcrypto@w3.org
Subject: RE: [extractability] JOSE IANA attribute registration

There are two different things that need to be done in order to get the new extractability attribute registered

First the registry must be established.  This is currently being done in the JWK draft (draft-ietf-jose-json-web-key) for various reasons, not the least is to get non contentious documents out of the door, I am going to gtry and get a focus on getting this document out sooner than the rest of the documents.   We can get the IANA registry created as soon as the document passes the IESG without any problems, it does not have to get to final publication first.  I currently believe this should be completed this year.

The second is to define and register the new attribute(s).  This would basically be a Web Crypto WG activity.  The attribute would have to be defined in a document that is on track to be published (or actually published).  A request would then be sent to IANA via the JSON registry review mailing list.  After an appropriate review period by the designated experts the registration would be done.

Basically a document would have the registration template from JWK for each of the attributes being defined along with  description of how that attribute is to be used.

Jim