Re: adding SEED cryptography algorithm

On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 4:59 PM, Mountie Lee <mountie.lee@mw2.or.kr> wrote:

> Hi.
> WebCrypto Korea Community is preparing to suggest "SEED" algorithm to be
> added to API spec.
> "SEED" is block ciphers symmetric encryption algorithm registered in
> international standard as ISO/IEC 1803303, IETF RFC 4269
>
> I will update the algorithm details in next mails.
>
> regards
> mountie.
>
> =======================================
> PayGate Inc.
> THE STANDARD FOR ONLINE PAYMENT
> for Korea, Japan, China, and the World
>

> Thanks for bringing this up, Mountie.

It does seem reasonable to at least spec out for implementations that will
support SEED. As you mention, it's defined in RFC 4269.

While supported by PKCS#11, it's not defined as a (standard) algorithm by
CNG [1] or CryptoAPI [2][3], nor is it supported by SecTransform API on OS
X [4].

This means that I think you'll find it very hard to be implemented across
user agents using 'standard' OS APIs. But having it normatively spec'd I
think is fine. Perhaps you'd be willing to take an ACTION item to help
provide state-of-the-art implementation across common user agent platforms
(including mobile) regarding the support of SEED, since I anticipate user
agents will be deferring to platform APIs to perform crypto.

[1]
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa375534(v=vs.85).aspx
[2]
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa375599(v=vs.85).aspx