Re: ECC vs RSA, and Similar Conflicts

On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 12:06 PM, Da Cruz Pinto, Juan M
<juan.m.da.cruz.pinto@intel.com> wrote:
> Keep in mind that PKCS#11 defines an API for accessing crypto operations, one which does not require the caller to have direct access to key material. For instance, most HSM (Hardware Security Modules) vendors provide a PKCS#11 library for developers to integrate with.
>
> This means that if you are using a PKCS#11 module, then you don't really need to have safe/unsafe sections of the API when using ,e.g., RSA. Moreover, if you are using a smartcard thru a PKCS#11 module, then you most probably will not be able to access the key material at all.

This is only true because PKCS #11 has been adjusted to provide a number of
specialized pieces of keying material manipulation as required by
current protocols.
If, for instance, I decided to invent a new KDF for use with DH (as SSL/TLS did)
I would not be able to use it with existing PKCS #11.

-Ekr