Re: ECC vs RSA, and Similar Conflicts

On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 2:55 PM, Nadim <nadim@nadim.cc> wrote:

>  Here's an interesting question, then:
> Let's assume, for the sake of argument, that SHA2 is widely recognized as
> being a better alternative to SHA1. However, SHA1 is not only far from
> broken, but is also as widely used as SHA2, if not more.
>
> What happens in such a scenario? Do we implement only SHA2 (knowing it to
> be more secure) or do we still include SHA1, even if it's the less secure
> alternative?
>
> NK

UAs should be free to decide and scripts should be able to detect this.

This also serves as a perfect example of why trying to define "good" or
"safe" algorithms is a problematic area. SHA-1 vs SHA-2 is actually a
controversial point - or MD5 vs SHA-1, is actually controversial regarding
the performance and efficiency of the algorithms. This is equally being
reflected in the ongoing SHA-3 competition, where the algorithms appear to
be both stronger than and more robust than SHA-2, but are
also noticeably less efficient. For that reason, it's not unreasonable to
think that SHA-2 will be around up to and until it's declared "broken".

Having the API proscribe the use of SHA-3, as a "good" algorithm, would
thus be a source of understandable controversy. Having an API that can
implement SHA-1, SHA-2, or SHA-3, and allow UAs to decide, would thus be
the 'robust' solution and one I would support.