ISSUE-26 (was Re: origin bound key generation)

On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 1:06 PM, Seetharama Rao Durbha
<S.Durbha@cablelabs.com> wrote:
> Ryan
>
> Thanks for opening an issue related to this. We can use it to track the
> conversations.
>
> I think that depending on how restrictive or flexible (and regardless) our
> origin-bound policy is going to be, it is imaginable that applications may
> want a slightly different interpretation or result. Today, browsers allow
> the (server) applications to set this policy for cookies – and I think we
> can extend the same feature to keys.
>
> Seetharama

cookie.domain is still restricted by SOP. It only covers sub-domains.

You cannot cross-publish domains to other origins. That opens a host
of attack vectors, most notably session pinning.

As I also understand it, the cookie.domain process is not well
regarded as a good or desired API for future security decisions.

To be clear - we're talking about origins on the basis of RFC 6454 (
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6454 ) , the "Web Origin Concept".

In particular, please see Sections 3.4.1 and 3.4.3 for why I think
this is a dangerous idea.