Re: Origin-bound keys

Hi.
I think this use case has similar purpose of Signed JS and JS integrity
checking (by my previous mails)

the service provider want to make sure the JS or the part of information in
client side is protected or not altered from the origin.

I think it is considerable.

regards
mountie.

On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 4:41 AM, Mark Watson <watsonm@netflix.com> wrote:

> On Aug 6, 2012, at 11:34 AM, Ryan Sleevi wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 11:00 AM, Mark Watson <watsonm@netflix.com>
> wrote:

> we
> (subject to
> by a

> properties
> can only
> which

> implementors
> decisions for

> be

> care is
> ?

> >> I mean that any script that wants to perform an operation with that key
> must have come from that origin. Obviously, this is more useful with https
> origins.

> >> Exactly.

> >> I'm suggesting we support both kinds. Whether you can 'migrate' an
> identity created for one application to another, unrelated, one is always
> going to be a decision of the application provider.
> >>
> >> I see the 'change origin' issue for pre-provisioned origin-specific
> keys - where the origin is also pre-provisioned. But otherwise I think you
> could accomplish it by creating a new key for the new origin and doing some
> kind of hand-off on the application side (hand-wave hand-wave…).

> >> I think you need to store the authorized origins for a key with the
> key. So if browsers share a key-store they will see the same information.

> >> Ok, so these are ways a purportedly origin-specific key could become
> origin-authorized. If such a possibility exists the key is not really
> origin-specific in the first place because origin-specific requires that it
> can never be used by another origin.
> >>
> >> The strength of the promise that a key is really origin-specific is
> like the strength of any other promise the browser makes about the security
> of the web crypto system.
> >>
> >> If a browser supports origin-specific keys, it shouldn't allow those to
> be exported somewhere where the origin and the origin-specific nature of
> the keys will be lost. Of course sophisticated users could work around that
> by extracting the key from an unencrypted key store, just as a user could
> take a cookie and put it back into the cookie store with a different origin
> attached. Such a user is reasonably expected to understand the privacy
> implications of what they are doing.

> >> Well, pre-provisioned origin-specific keys is what we would like for
> our use-case ;-)
> >>
> >> But one can imagine the application specifying when a key is generated
> that it should be origin-specific or origin-authorized.
> >>
> >> The difference is that in the origin-specific case the application is
> requesting that the browser never allow this key to be used by another
> origin. Another origin would just not see this key at all if it queried for
> it.
> >>
> >> In the origin-authorized case, if another origin looks for this key
> [...]

PayGate Inc.
THE STANDARD FOR ONLINE PAYMENT
for Korea, Japan, China, and the World