proposed reply -- [2nd LC Review] Comments -- Schema

Hi WG --

Here is a proposed reply to 1st of his two comments.  Feel free to
recommend improvements.  We'll discuss and approve/revise next
Wednesday.  (I'm working on 2nd proposed reply)

-Lofton.

===== start =====
At 11:44 AM 6/20/2009 +0200, Innovimax SARL wrote:

>== moving forward with XML Schema or Relax NG ==
>Sticking to DTD to define a XML dialect is neither sufficient neither
>a way to widespread the use of this XML dialect. For that, I ask the
>WG to consider providing normative XML Schema and/or Relax NG schema
>of the XCF model. It will help adoption especially because XCF uses
>Namespaces.

Thank you for your comments during the WebCGM 2nd Last Call Working Draft
(LCWD) review.

The WebCGM Working Group (WG) agrees that WebCGM could potentially benefit
by addition of a normative schema -- XML Schema or Relax
NG.  Unfortunately, this proposal is beyond the scope of this 2nd LCWD
review, and it is deemed to be too late in the WebCGM 2.1 development
cycle.  Ideally, such a proposal would have been included in the WebCGM 2.1
Requirements, or before 1st LCWD review at latest.  The implementation of
such a proposal would involve major disruption of the WebCGM 2.1 text --
removal of the DTD and complete rewriting of Chapter 4 (at least).  Since
it does not address an error in the specification, or a serious defect, or
violation of any W3C requirement, the WG believes that the proposal should
be postponed until a future WebCGM development cycle.

As an interim step, the WG thinks that a non-normative Technical Note,
separate from the progression of 2.1 WebCGM, might be an interesting
approach.  The WG would also welcome an initial contribution, if you have
interest in making such.