Re: picture behaviors

Reading and thinking about the thread, I note this from the 3rd (Chris's
final) message:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2006Jul/0049.html

>BZ> Wait.  Why "X" and not "S1"?
>
>Because that is what WebCGM says for self, and we do the same thing.
>
>BZ>  Would the behavior be different if <iframe> were
>BZ> used instead of <object>?
>
>Not that I can see, although the HTML description is less clear and
>seems to be specific to framesets. I assume that this also applies to
>iframe, but perhaps it does not.

I think WebCGM authors 1999 might have assumed this to be true, that the
HTML description was specific to framesets.  In any case, I think they only
were interested in framesets in mind when they wrote this stuff.

Note that HTML does draw some distinctions between frames (framesets and
iframe) and <object>...  "Notes on embedded documents",
http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/objects.html#embedded-documents

By my reading, unfortunately, there is still some ambiguity in HTML about
frames and objects.  Perhaps CDF helps (I'll look at that next).

Bottom line:  I do know there was no serious discussion of <object> and
iframe when this stuff was first drafted (by JG) and incorporated into
WebCGM 1.0 in 1999.  In following SVG's lead to generalize the original
1999 stuff, we certainly have not yet sorted out all of the various new
scenarios that are opened up as valid scenarios.

Other interesting HTML references:
About <object>s:
http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/objects.html#h-13.1
About frames, iframes, etc: