RE: Proposed text for Steven Pemberton comment [corrected]

I agree with Chris' modification.

Dieter

  _____

From: public-webcgm-wg-request@w3.org
[mailto:public-webcgm-wg-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Lofton Henderson
Sent: Saturday, August 05, 2006 9:05 PM
To: public-webcgm-wg@w3.org
Subject: Re: Proposed text for Steven Pemberton comment [corrected]

WebCGM WG --

1st paragraph of Abstract as approved at 3-aug telecon:

[[[

WebCGM is a graphics standard optimized for Web applications in technical
illustration, electronic documentation, geophysical data visualization, and
similar fields.  First published (1.0) in 1999 and followed by a second
(errata) release in 2001, WebCGM unifies potentially diverse approaches to
CGM utilization in Web document applications.  It therefore represents a
significant interoperability agreement amongst major users and implementers
of the ISO CGM standard.

]]]

Chris proposes adding a new first sentence:

[[[

Computer Graphics Metafile (CGM) is an ISO standard, defined by ISO/IEC
8632:1999, for the interchange of 2D vector and mixed vector/raster
graphics. WebCGM is a profile of CGM, which adds Web linking and is
optimized for Web applications in technical illustration, electronic
documentation, geophysical data visualization, and similar fields.  First
published (1.0) in 1999 and followed by a second (errata) release in 2001,
WebCGM unifies potentially diverse approaches to CGM utilization in Web
document applications.  It therefore represents a significant
interoperability agreement amongst major users and implementers of the ISO
CGM standard.

]]]

Just to be procedurally clean, we should probably approve this change to the
3-aug telecon decision.

Any comments?  (I'll put its approval on the 10-aug telecon agenda.)

Regards,
-Lofton.

At 12:47 PM 8/4/2006 +0200, Chris Lilley wrote:

On Thursday, August 3, 2006, 3:10:41 PM, Lofton wrote:

LH> [...corrected...]

LH> WebCGM WG --

LH> In satisfaction of my Action Item, here is the complete proposed text of
LH> the Abstract.  The first paragraph is modified by the new first sentence
LH> and the smoothing out of the remainder of the paragraph:

LH> Current 1st paragraph:

LH> [[[
LH> WebCGM ? first published (1.0) in 1999 followed by a second (errata)
LH> release in 2001 ? unifies potentially diverse approaches to CGM
utilization
LH> in Web document applications, and therefore represents a significant
LH> interoperability agreement amongst major users and implementers of the
ISO
LH> CGM standard. WebCGM finds significant application especially in
technical
LH> illustration, electronic documentation, and geophysical data
visualization,
LH> amongst other application areas.
LH> ]]]

LH> Proposed 1st paragraph:

LH> [[[
LH> WebCGM is a graphics standard optimized for Web applications in
technical
LH> illustration, electronic documentation, geophysical data visualization,
and
LH> similar fields.  First published (1.0) in 1999 and followed by a second
LH> (errata) release in 2001, WebCGM unifies potentially diverse approaches
LH> CGM utilization in Web document applications.  It therefore represents a
LH> significant interoperability agreement amongst major users and
implementers
LH> of the ISO CGM standard.
LH> ]]]

LH> The remainder of the Abstract is unchanged:

I suggest one more sentence, before the first one, and a modification of the
first.

Computer Graphics Metafile (CGM) is an ISO standard, defined by ISO/IEC
8632:1999, for the interchange of 2D vector and mixed vector/raster
graphics. WebCGM is a profile of CGM, which adds Web linking and is
optimized for [... etc as above]

 Interaction Domain Leader
 Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead