authentication is to be avoided or is being "solved" with WebAuthn. Unsure
how this work can be misconstrued.

I agree with Emil's latter point: I think this is tangentially related to issue
#1175 <https://github.com/w3c/webauthn/issues/1175> in that we should have
some further messaging around supporting software-defined authenticators,
but don't need to change the API to support those authenticators.

That being said, updating the spec to include a client extension that
delegates authentication to a local/remote software-defined authenticator
or service could be useful. Something like this was brought up in issue 1125
<https://github.com/w3c/webauthn/issues/1125>. Will write up an issue/PR to
capture these thoughts.

--
Nick Steele