Re: Webauthn capability detection

Hi, thanks for your interest in WebAuthn!

I don't know what can be inferred passively from user agent strings and the
like, but I'll bounce this on to the public discussion list at
public-webauthn@w3c.org.

What I do know exists is the
`isUserVerifyingPlatformAuthenticatorAvailable()` method [1] in the
WebAuthn API. This method will return `true `if there is a platform
authenticator capable of some kind of user verification (UV). It won't let
you detect every platform authenticator, but I would guess that most
platform authenticators do support some kind of UV, most often a
fingerprint reader.

I hope that helps, and I hope others on the maillist can provide more
information about other methods of capability detection.

[1]:
https://www.w3.org/TR/2019/REC-webauthn-1-20190304/#isUserVerifyingPlatformAuthenticatorAvailable

/Emil

--