Re: Man-in-the-middle attack against WebAuthn by a powerful attacker

This attack would imply at least partial control of networking
infrastructure (client routing or RP DNS) and of a legitimate CA, meaning
it is either an enterprise policy, an attack based on enterprise policy, or
state actor attack.

Typically I would expect this to be solved by some form of certificate
transparency or certificate pinning:
- `HPKP` was a previous solution for this, but was unfortunately abusable
and will never see wide adoption
- Certificate Transparency (and the `Expect-CT` header) allow a site to opt
into certificate transparency for browsers that support it
- Including the TLS thumbprint of the TLS Certificate in `clientDataJSON`
(when token binding is not supported) would allow the RP infrastructure to
validate against a whitelist of TLS certificates.

--
<https://www.pingidentity.com>[image: Ping Identity]
<https://www.pingidentity.com>
David Waite
Principal Technical Architect, CTO Office
dwaite@pingidentity.com
w: 303 468 2855
Connect with us: [image: Glassdoor logo]
<https://www.glassdoor.com/Overview/Working-at-Ping-Identity-EI_IE380907.11,24.htm>
[image:
LinkedIn logo] <https://www.linkedin.com/company/21870> [image: twitter
logo] <https://twitter.com/pingidentity> [image: facebook logo]
<https://www.facebook.com/pingidentitypage> [image: youtube logo]
<https://www.youtube.com/user/PingIdentityTV> [image: Google+ logo]
<https://plus.google.com/u/0/114266977739397708540> [image: Blog logo]
<https://www.pingidentity.com/en/blog.html>
<https://4.pingidentity.com/WB-2019.2.27apiinnovators_lpWebinarRegistration..html?utm_medium=webinar&utm_source=Direct%20to%20Website&utm_campaign=WB-2019.2.27apiinnovators-WEB>

distribution or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited.  If you have
computer. Thank you._