Re: [webauthn] Specify extension types in listing instead of prose

From: =JeffH via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 22:58:34 +0000
To: public-webauthn@w3.org
>  realize there are two orthogonal "type" concepts for extensions .... although it seems they're currently never referred to as "types" in the spec.

yes, perhaps we should refer to them as "extension characteristics", where "targeted component" and "related operation" are such characteristics.

targeted component characteristics are client or authenticator.
related operation characteristics are registration or authentication.

derive authnr characteristic-based naming from them...here's perhaps one way to think of it:
```
webauthn extension characteristics and naming taxonomy
      \            |                            |
       \  targeted |                            |
related \ component|       client               |       authenticator
operation\         |                            |
-------------------+-------------------------------------------------------
  registration     |  reg-op client extension   |  reg-op authnr extension
  authentication   | authn-op client extension  | authn-op authnr extension

```

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/webauthn/pull/941#issuecomment-395914556 using your GitHub account