Re: Eleven comments on " Web Authentication: An API for accessing Public Key Credentials". W3C Working Draft, 5 May 2017

On 7/24/17 10:21 AM, Denis Pinkas wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am a member of the OAuth WG and of the SAAG WG. I read the draft notes
> from the SAAG IETF 99 where a few words
> from Sam Weiler (W3C) have been reported:
>
> WebAuthn making good progress. Trying to get more eyes doing privacy and
> security reviews on specs.
> Please get in touch with me if you want to keep our WGs from doing
> stupid things.
>
> The terms used by Sam are rather odd: "keep our WGs from doing /stupid
> things/" and I am wondering why these terms have been used.
> If it was simply to draw our attention, the goal has been reached.

The SAAG minutes don't quite capture that I was trying to share two very
distinct thoughts.  To the extent that's my fault rather than the
scribe's, I apologize.

I don't think the WebAuthn spec is in terrible shape - indeed, I was
trying to report that the WG is moving along nicely.

I am, however, trying to recruit reviewers for other W3C specs - our
other working groups sometimes suffer from a deficit of privacy- and
security-aware eyes reading their specs, and I'm hopeful that some in
the IETF security community might be interested in helping us correct that.

Thank you for your comments on the WebAuthn spec.  I'll leave it to the
WG to offer a substantive reply.

-- Sam