Re: [webauthn] Attestation format identifiers lack formal definition and matching rules

@vijaybh wrote:
>Noticed you omitted JeffH's suggested text that said people SHOULD
register extensions in [I-D. hodges-webauthn-registries]. Was that
accidental or intentional?

> Jeff's suggested text is in
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webauthn/2016Jul/0070.html

the suggested text and rationale from the email msg cited above is
below (with updated terminology and pointer to current registries
I-D)...

On 7/11/16, 2:59 PM, "J.C.Jones via GitHub" <sysbot+gh@w3.org> wrote:
>Saying the identifiers are allocated implies, to me, a registry.

apologies, I didn't fully explain my rationale in this issue.

yes, I think we do wish to have an IANA registry for attestation
types,
see..

>draft-hodges-webauthn-registries
>https://raw.githubusercontent.com/w3c/webauthn/master/draft-hodges-webauthn-registries-00b.txt

..because it will be a useful tool for the ecosystem, e.g., by
gathering
publicly-specified attestation types, and pointers to their
specifications, in a well-known  place.

That said, we should also provide guidance for those who do not wish
register their attestation format identifier(s) -- i.e., we should
recognize
that not everyone will wish to publicly specify their attestation
formats
and specs (think proprietary enterprise-specific use cases, say).

so I propose we make use of the registry a SHOULD, and un-registered
attstn format names SHOULD use reverse domain-name naming. [perhaps
the
latter should be a MUST? however, a SHOULD recognizes that there's no
effective enforcement...]

thus:
```
WebAuthn attestation format identifiers are strings, chosen
by the attestation format developer. They SHOULD be registered
per [I-D. hodges-webauthn-registries] "Registries for Web
Authentication (WebAuthn)".
Unregistered attestation format identifiers SHOULD use
reverse domain-name naming, using a domain name registered by
the attestation type developer. All attestation format identifiers
MUST
not be longer than 32 octets and MUST consist only of
printable USASCII characters, i.e., VCHAR as defined
in [RFC5234] (note: this means attestation format identifiers based on
domain names MUST incorporate only LDH Labels [RFC5890]).
Implementations MUST match WebAuthn
attestation format identifiers in a case-insensitive fashion.
```

Please view or discuss this issue at
https://github.com/w3c/webauthn/issues/127#issuecomment-244489792
using your GitHub account