Re: [webauthn] clarify content of algorithm member of copedCredentialParameters

From: Adam Powers via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2016 23:28:40 +0000
To: public-webauthn@w3.org
The words "desired" and "best effort" led me to believe that
`cryptoParameters` was just a guide, and that if no match in
`cryptoParameters` was found then any alternative credential would be
acceptable. I would suggest clarifying that if no match is found in
`cryptoParameters` an error is returned.

Returning to your question about how much detail an RP App should
provide in specifying a credential, isn't this already addressed by
the
[definition](https://www.w3.org/TR/WebCryptoAPI/#algorithm-dictionary)
 of `AlgorithmIdentifier` which may be either a string or an object?
The object can contain all the details you want and if it's a string
like "RSASSA-PKCS1-v1_5", then the [normalizing
algorithm](https://www.w3.org/TR/WebCryptoAPI/#algorithm-normalization)
 will fill in the details?

PS - Hopefully it's obvious, but we may want to specify that the
`algorithm` must be one that supports the `sign` and `verify` methods,
 as described in [WebCrypto Section
19](https://www.w3.org/TR/WebCryptoAPI/#algorithm-overview).

--
GitHub Notification of comment by apowers313
Please view or discuss this issue at