[webauthn] authenticator attachment terminology

From: =JeffH via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2016 01:15:45 +0000
To: public-webauthn@w3.org
equalsJeffH has just created a new issue for
https://github.com/w3c/webauthn:

== authenticator attachment terminology ==
wrt terminology, platform and cross_platform refer to authenticator
(authnr) "attachment" modalities which us technologists understand and
 need when reasoning about under-the-hood-details.

I can see where the term "platform attached authenticator" or
"platform authenticator" might work amongst users, but have concerns
with the term "cross-platform authenticator" being confusing to users.

Perhaps we can define a "roaming authenticator" as being one with a
"cross-platform attachment" modality. The latter term may be more
meaningful to users, while the definition wrt attachment modality is
meaningful to readers of the spec.

(this originally appeared as a comment on #243 here
https://github.com/w3c/webauthn/pull/243#issuecomment-259476527)

Please view or discuss this issue at
https://github.com/w3c/webauthn/issues/308 using your GitHub account