RE: Representation of a secondary resource?

Stuart,

thanks for writing it up. I just want the TAG to fill what I perceive as
a hole in AWWW regarding the representations of resources identified
with fragment identifiers.

Your observation is acute but I believe it's an exception to the text
I'd include. In effect, maybe extending (and perhaps softening) of the
text to be included in 2.6 would do:

        "In general there is no direct way to retrieve a representation
        of a secondary resource using a URI with fragment ID, but in
        some cases a process may be available for producing the
        representation of the secondary resource from a representation
        of the primary resource, which would be specified in the
        relevant media type specification; see 3.2.1."

As for those internal references, I'd only add reference from 3.1.1 to
3.2.1 and note in 3.1.1 that it doesn't in any way illustrate a
situation where the URI of the resource contains a fragment ID. Backward
reference to 2.6 would IMO be unnecessary.

Further, this all would be greatly helped by an example, for example
having an XML (application/xml) document at
http://example.org/people.xml:

<people>
  <person id="john">
    <name>John Doe</name>
  </person>
  <person id="jane">
    <name>Jane Smith</name>
  </person>
</people>

The application/xml serialization of the element with the ID "john"
together with its content is the representation of the resource with the
URI http://example.org/people.xml#john

Or perhaps in HTML the same representation but with a different starting
viewpoint is the representation of the secondary resource.

These examples may well be contentious though, so you may ignore them
happily. 8-)

Best regards,

Jacek