RE: "information resource"

I did not understand it based solely on the new text itself. I suspected
that one interpretation was probably meant by the new text, but was
not sure, and could easily see as valid an alternate, incompatible,
interpretation.

It was only after extensive discussion about the new text that I became
satisfied that a particular interpretation was indeed intended.

The fact that the text remains unchanged, means that the potential for
confusion remains.

> You have asked us to express that
> more directly,
> and we have declined. Nevertheless I believe that you and
> others clearly
> understand the intent of  definition (that an information
> resource is a
> body of information that can be wholly conveyed in a message).

But this is not due to the new text alone. It has not been shown
that the new text unambiguously reflects the intended meaning.
If it did, then there would not have been the subsequent discusssion
and I would not be typing this text at this very moment.

> I hope
> that you will regard that as progress.

I see progress made in the new definition of "information resource" per

http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2004/webarch-20041014/#id-resources

when compared to its previous definition per

http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2004/webarch-20040928/#information-resource

I do not, I'm sorry, consider that rejection of my request to refine
the new text to clarify the intended meaning of words such as "convey"
and "characteristic" by revision of the defining text to be progress,
since lack of any change cannot constitute progress.

The clarifications made in online discussions will not be part of AWWW.
Therefore, having no change to the text which initiated those discussions,
means that the progress made in those discussions is not reflected in
AWWW, and therefore, no actual progress can be said to have been made
insofar as that particular text is concerned.

I am not satisfied with this outcome, but I also do not intend to consume
more of my own time in this matter. My concerns are a matter of public
record. I leave it to the TAG to decide whether to reflect any of the
actual progress made in online discussions in the actual text of AWWW,
or to leave the issue unresolved.

Regards,

Patrick