Re: Cyberspace analogous to set of all sets: URIs & URLs

On Mon, 2004-09-20 at 06:05, drewangel@adelphia.net wrote:
> Cyberspace itself should be considered analogous to the set
> of all sets.

It's not clear to me what changes we could make to the
document to address your comments. Could you be more
specific about which sections you're commenting on?

 http://www.w3.org/TR/webarch/

[...]
> USING FLOATING POINT URI ADDRESSING
>

> In particular, I think the address space should immediately
> be extended to a larger space "between the dots." It could
> be made allowed to be 6 or 8 digits without any gigantic
> other changes, as an interim fix.
>
> HOWEVER,
>  if the dot (= decimal point ) is not the delimiter used,
> then floating point numbers can be used, basically solving
> all troubles with respect to address space size.

There are no limits on the size of URI space. It is already
infinite.

Just for conventional http URIs, there are an infinite number
of (potential) domain names, and and infinite number of paths
in each one.

> OTHER SOMEWHAT UNRELATED COMMENTS written earlier.
>

> There are a number of problems involved with the practical
> use of such system. When it is assumed that authors should
> be writing their documents online in realtime, then there
> is a danger that incomplete documents may be observed,
> producing problems of misleading interpretations, copyright
> and idea thefts, and what one might call the glass
> bathhouse effect, of making authors feel they are
> improperly exposed during their creative processes.

"The Web provides several mechanisms to control access to resources;
these mechanisms do not rely on hiding or suppressing URIs for those
resources."
 -- http://www.w3.org/TR/webarch/#id-access

For some specifics on how the hundreds of collaborators
behind http://www.w3.org/ work, see

  An overview of the W3C Access Control System, Jun 2001
  http://www.w3.org/2001/04/20-ACLs.html

> In my view automatic pretty printing destroys much of the
> utility of HTML. It is a "mark up language" not a symbolic
> coding language.

That seems more relevant to the HTML specifications than
webarch; you might try sending to www-html@w3.org .

D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E