Re: Use of "assign" for URI -> resource

On Wed, 2004-09-15 at 19:22, Larry Masinter wrote:

> I think section 2.2.1.1., labeled "URI ownership"
> could be renamed. Resources have owners. URIs have
> users. The owners of resources arrange the resources
> so that URIs can be used to identify the resources
> and their related resources.

Hi Larry,

Suppose I mint the URI http://www.example.org/ij# and
establish that the resource it identifies is Dan's
car. Dan is clearly the owner of Dan's car. It was
confusing to state that I was somehow the owner of the
resource identified by the URI. Because of that
unclear relationship, we moved from "resource owner"
to "URI owner" prior to the (initial) Last Call draft.
URIs can be allocated and thus "owned" (or rented).
It seems more difficult to explain how resources can be
allocated.

 _ Ian

Tel:                     +1 718 260-9447