2.2.1.1 URI Ownership

At the Ottawa F2F I expressed some reservations about what the is now
the LC#2 draft has to say on URI Ownership (the section 2.2.2). The TAG
challenged me to offer an alternative that I would address my concerns.
I did so [1] however my proposal was too late to be discussed and
considered for the LC draft.

I repeat it below (with minor typographic corrections) for the purpose
of putting it in a public archive and asking the TAG to consider it as
an improvement on the current text (now section 2.2.1.1) during its Last
Call.

The current text discusses URI ownership as an approach to avoiding URI
collision. The concept of URI ownership discussed indirectly and in
something of a 'roundabout fashion'.

The proposed replacement text speaks directly to the concept of URI
ownership. It frames URI Ownership in terms of the rights and
responsibilies of URI owners. The text it is proposed to replace
currently discusses URI ownership as an approach to avoiding URI
collision and discusses URI ownership in something of a 'roundabout
fashion'.

The proposed text gives the data URI scheme as an example where
ownership is vested in the relevant URI scheme specification (and the
community that maintains it) and is not further delegated. This view
does risk further review comments and I'd like some feedback on whether
it is a view that the TAG can support.

The proposed text maintains the concept of a social entity and the last
two paragraphs of the original.

I think that it may also contribute to response to the comments from
Peter Patel-Schnieder in response to our 1st LC [2]

BR

Stuart
--
[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/tag/2004Aug/0038.html