LC Commnets, section 3.0, editorial

From: Bijan Parsia <bparsia@isr.umd.edu>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 23:56:18 +0100
To: public-webarch-comments@w3.org

"""Note: The Web Architecture does not require a formal definition of
the commonly used phrase "on the Web." Informally, a resource is "on
the Web" when it has a URI and an agent can use the URI to retrieve a
representation of it using network protocols (given appropriate access
privileges, network connectivity, etc.)."""

Given that Web Arch doesn't require it, I would recommend not including
even an informal definition. Especially as it seems wrong, e.g., such
that tel:+1-816-555-1212 and any URN identified resources aren't on the
web (though they are possible subjects and objects (and I guess
predicates; URNs certainly) of RDF assertions). Is there a relation
between being "on the Web" and being, er, part of the "information
space" that is the web?

So, I think this note is strike worthy.

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.