RE: Migrating "A Well-Known URL for Changing Passwords" to WebAppSec from WICG

No objections here.

I do wonder if we should (non-normatively) mention the concern that having a well-known password change url could be used for nefarious purposes (e.g. sending a lot of emails, denial of service if there’s a rate limit on password changes, authentication attacks against security questions, etc.).  I don’t think it’s a strong objection (in general, a password change url has to be pretty easily discoverable alraedy) but it seems weird not to say anything about that concern in the document once this is being released as part of a security working group.

Terri

From: Mike West <mkwst@google.com>
Sent: Tuesday, May 05, 2020 1:47 AM
To: Theresa O'Connor <hober@apple.com>
Cc: Web Application Security Working Group <public-webappsec@w3.org>; Ricky Mondello <rmondello@apple.com>
Subject: Re: Migrating "A Well-Known URL for Changing Passwords" to WebAppSec from WICG

Hey Tess!

This seems reasonable to me, and is consistent with our conversation on the topic at TPAC last year (https://github.com/w3c/webappsec/blob/master/meetings/2019/2019-09-TPAC-minutes.md#well-knownchange-password).

I'd be comfortable adopting this specification, and publishing it as a FPWD. Let's give the working group's members a week to object. If no objections come in by May 12th, I think we could comfortably declare consensus.

-mike