Re: Blocking high-risk non-secure downloads

On Tue, Apr 9, 2019 at 12:31 PM Michaela Merz <michaela.merz@rollofone.com>
wrote:

> Here's a very problematic situation I am discussing with the Firebox
> people (and filed a bug report): Our application allows folks to assemble
> files, pack them into a zip and download the data. Some combination of
> certain files, when packed and zipped, seem to create a situation where
> Chromium (and Firefox) believe the data to be dangerous. I guess it's based
> on the signature. Chromium marks the download as potentially dangerous but
> allows the download anyway - Firefox however downloads the file and
> zero-truncates it on disk without any warning. Here's my point: The browser
> should never be allowed to discard or corrupt any data without the user's
> expressed knowledge. It is not enough to only have a tick-box in settings.
> Warnings need to be displayed on any potentially dangerous file. It is not
> acceptable when the browser decides by itself whether or not do allow
> downloads and doesn't tell the user. Signatures or other detection
> mechanism can (and as my case shows, will) deliver false positives and it's
> creating a slippery slope that may, at some point, be misused for other
> reasons. It is however - perfectly ok to warn the user and let him/her
> decide for themselves.

Hi Michaela, this sounds like an issue with the Safe Browsing download
protection feature, which is unrelated to blocking http downloads which
we're discussing in this thread. Please consider filing a bug at
https://crbug.com/new about this issue.