Re: Formal Model of Malicious Cross Origin Requests Mitigation using CORP (was: A primer on cross-origin information leaks

Thanks for the links, Jeff! I hadn't seen the papers, they are interesting
and they indeed touch upon some of the same problems that we've been
discussing.

The general CORP approach of not letting the server process a request
unless the initiator and context are explicitly allowed to access a given
resource (e.g. foo.example.org can request /images/foo.png as an image) is
similar conceptually to what Sec-Metadata aims to achieve. The two main
differences are:
- With Sec-Metadata, the decision about handling the request would be made
by the server rather than by a declarative policy. This allows for building
server-side reporting and is likely more flexible than a declarative
approach.
- CORP has a (predictable and likely unavoidable) problem of not having any
insight into the structure of the web application, and relies on paths to
define a hierarchy of resources and enforce security rules. In practice,
this is very difficult to retrofit into moderately complex applications,
which often serve different types of resources from the same endpoint,
frequently change the URL structure, etc. We've already seen problems with
this with CSP's path-based script-src whitelists.

My main takeaway from reading the papers is that the approach they outline
is reasonable, but the mechanics of how they propose to enforce the
security restrictions wouldn't really work. But that's still an interesting
approach/result, the articles will be useful as a reference in future
discussions.

Cheers,
-A