Re: Improving CORS security

On Wed, May 10, 2017 at 5:27 PM, Devdatta Akhawe <dev.akhawe@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi
>
> That allow-credentials works with null is actually pretty useful to and
> lets us more easily adopt CSP/Iframe sandbox. I am pretty strongly against
> adding a  new limitation: first because backwards compatibility is
> important and second because I think we should do more to encourage use of
> sandbox. IMO, in terms of impact, trusting null is the same bug as
> reflecting the origin header in Access-control-allow-origin, which is also
> very common on the web.

You probably know this, but for clarity, the problem James is pointing out
is that sandboxed frames all look the same. `https://evil.com` in a sandbox
sends the same `Origin` header as `https://yay.com` in a sandbox. You might
trust the latter, but not the former, but CORS gives you no mechanism of
distinguishing between the two.

Since `null` is basically `*` for sandboxed frames, applying similar
restrictions with regard to credentials seems like it might be a reasonable
thing to do.

Is Dropbox making CORS requests from sandboxed frames that require
credentials?