Re: Breaking the `opener` relationship.

Hi

First, I agree with Artur, re his concern on iframes being treated same as
new windows. I figured if its easier conceptually or for UA implementation,
I am ok with it. Especially, if we allow x-origin postMessage.

Re the postMessage threats flagged: I haven't dug deep into the Slack bug
(asking Frans on the side) but I suspect that the reason for using
postMessage was to allow cross-origin communications. If my hypothesis is
right, blocking all postMessage means that they can't adopt this proposal.

The class of issues flagged by Frans has been discussed for a long time. I
think a distinction between the opener bugs and postMessage bugs is that
with postMessage you need to opt-in: you need to add an event listener. And
there is a way to secure it: check the origin of the event. There is no
such 'localized' option for opener bugs.

You are absolutely right that this is an area where people make mistakes,
but the current proposal won't solve this bug for people who actually need
to use postMessage cross-origin. Worse, it will mean that people who need
to make cross-origin postMessages can't adopt this proposal. For example,
if a page opens two popups: one untrusted and one trusted it wants to
communicate with, it won't be able to adopt this proposal.

I am all for a separate CSP directive to control postMessage send/receive;
I think that will be very useful for a large class of web applications.

(I am biased: when our team worked on such postMessage issues back in 2010
<http://devd.me/papers/w2sp10-primitives.pdf>, even then we argued for post
message controls in CSP.)

--dev