Re: Isolated Origins

On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 7:27 AM, Emily Stark <estark@google.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the comments, Charlie.
>
> On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 4:00 PM, Charlie Reis <creis@google.com> wrote:
>
>> A few other general questions from reading the current spec:
>>
>> 1) In Section 1.2, how do you plan to implement #2 (cross-origin iframes
>> inside isolated.com can't access their ancestors)?  I don't know of an
>> existing mechanism for achieving that.  5.1.4 talks about window.top and
>> window.parent, but those aren't the only ways to get to those frames-- you
>> could also use frame names to find them (e.g., with window.open), and I
>> wouldn't be surprised if there are more ways.
>>

> Ah, yes, I think you had warned me about this problem a while ago but it
> slipped my mind; sorry about that. Mike started a separate thread about
> this ("Breaking the `opener` relationship": https://lists.w
> 3.org/Archives/Public/public-webappsec/2017Apr/0071.html). Does that
> variant -- nuking specific properties of cross-orign windows like
> `window.postMessage` or `window.frames` -- strike you as more implementable?
>

>> There's also location.ancestorOrigins, which doesn't give you a reference
>> to the ancestors but does tell you what their origins are.  Is that a
>> concern?
>>

> Hmm. Artur, do you have any thoughts on this in terms of real-world attack
> vectors?

I can't think of anything interesting an attacker could do with
location.ancestorOrigins. In general, I'm also less worried about attacks
from iframed content given the amount of control the developer has over the
resources they decide to embed; however, if we're concerned about this we
could think of requiring cross-origin frames in isolated documents to be
sandboxed with some reasonable set of flags.