Re: Rechartering WebAppSec -- call for input

Hi all,

I haven't contributed too much to the group so my opinion doesn't carry
much weight, but I would like to suggest a couple of areas which I think
will be important for developers, but aren't explicitly captured in the
current charter.

1. A mention of script injection / XSS and ways to prevent exploitation or
reduce its impact. In a way it's implicit from the discussion of isolation
and restricting dangerous features, but it's a large enough concern for
many applications that it might be worth calling out more directly.

2. Providing features to replace current injection-prone DOM APIs or
provide other security functionality in the browser. This touches on the
previously discussed concept of SafeNode and in-browser HTML sanitization
as well as ideas to provide the equivalent of strict contextually
autoescaping templates (http://queue.acm.org/detail.cfm?id=2663760), and
other features to mirror the capabilities of server-side mechanisms.

3. Tackling some of the long-standing problems of the web platform such as
cache sniffing and various other cross-origin data leaks and side channels
(e.g. detection of HTTP response sizes or other sensitive information from
authenticated responses). I don't think we're anywhere near solving these
problems, nor am I convinced that we can do so, but a man can dream ;-)

Just my two cents...

Cheers,
-Artur