Re: Limiting requests from the internet to the intranet.

While this is trying to address a real concern, we should be very careful
not to convey special meaning to IP address ranges at the application
layer.  In particular, IPv6 (now past 10% globally per Google and at around
20% in the US) tries to enable global Internet addressing without private
NAT bubbles.  For example, residential and enterprise IPv6 users will have
devices behind their firewall numbered with public addresses from a
delegated prefix (and NOT ULA or link-local addresses).  There's been a
strong desire by groups working on IPv6 roll-out to try and encourage
mechanisms other than NAT-based hacks for providing security goals.  As
another example, RFC 6598 added a new IPv4 RFC1918-like shared transition
space which is likely to be used in similar situations.

It may make sense for there to be a way for a "protected address space"
policy to be configured more dynamically.  (I'll avoid particular
suggestions such as DHCP at this point since each has its own challenges.)

       Erik