Re: In what circumstances is "delayed execution" acceptable on the web?

On Fri, 13 Nov 2015 at 03:33 Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
wrote:

> To that end, some visible indication that background
> activity is ongoing is a fine idea.  But anything that involves modal
> user interaction is right out in my opinion.

This is something we considered. As in, the user hears nothing about the
background sync unless they close all tabs to the origin and there's a
background sync in progress or pending, then there's be some kind of "
gmail.google.com has pending uploads" notification that can be cancelled.

The worry here is the lack of association with the initiating action - will
the user understand the notification?

Additionally, there's a further problem when it comes to mobile. When is a
tab closed on mobile? Is it when it's physically closed by the user, or
when the tab is removed from memory (but still appears as an entry in the
tab switcher or task manager). In the removed-from-memory case, that's
likely to happen while the phone is locked and in the user's pocket. Should
the "pending upload" notification cause a vibration to alert the user?