Re: [UPGRADE] Consider plan B for reduced complexity?

From: Peter Eckersley <pde@eff.org>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2015 08:56:44 -0700
To: Mike West <mkwst@google.com>
Cc: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>, David Walp <David.Walp@microsoft.com>, Tanvi Vyas <tanvi@mozilla.com>, Crispin Cowan <crispin@microsoft.com>, Dan Veditz <dveditz@mozilla.com>, Daniel Kahn Gillmor <dkg@fifthhorseman.net>, "public-webappsec@w3.org" <public-webappsec@w3.org>, Eric Mill <eric@konklone.com>
On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 02:22:15PM +0100, Mike West wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 7:24 PM, Peter Eckersley <pde@eff.org> wrote:

> I'd suggest that we publish a new working draft with this content, and
> start experimenting with implementations to see if these things that we've
> been talking about are going to effectively meet developers' needs.
>
> WDYT?

Sounds great.

> > That's right.  Once an origin is committed to HSTS for every client, the
> > header is retired for that origin.
> >

> I very much hope we can find new carveouts in the future. It's fairly
> utopian to suppose that substantial amounts of traffic will be covered by
> this one. :(

I can see a way to further reduce the bytes-on-the-wire cost of the new
draft, though I'm not sure I'm actually advocating it:

HTTPS: 1     --     this client supports upgrade-insecure
HTTPS: 2     --     this client upgrades blockable mixed content by default
HTTPS: 3     --     this client has HSTS active for this origin
HTTPS: 4     --     this client has HSTS active and is
                    upgrading *all* mixed content by default?

The availability of 2 and 4 would allow servers to avoid sending the CSP
header in many additional cases.  If our worries about the HTTPS: header
are about bytes on the wire, this might alleviate them, though it
doesn't help if our main worries are about protocol complexity.

--
Peter Eckersley                            pde@eff.org
Technology Projects Director      Tel  +1 415 436 9333 x131