Re: [UPGRADE]: What's left?

On Mon, Mar 9, 2015 at 8:19 AM, Mike West <mkwst@google.com> wrote:

> As an aside, it occurred to me overnight that we can avoid the redirect
> (and the signal) for HTTP pages if we interpret the presence of an
> `upgrade-insecure-requests` directive in an insecure response as asking for
> the resource itself to be upgraded. Filed
> https://github.com/w3c/webappsec/issues/212 to explain a bit, and think
> about this some more.

"client should behave as though it received a redirect response to
https://example.com/" ... what does that mean exactly? As in, the UA should
treat it as a 302 and transparently initiate a new request? Would it
remember this for subsequent navigations?

Re, avoiding UA sniffing: have you considered an opt-in strategy for
delivering the header? In CH we have "Accept-CH" [1] which acts as a signal
for the UA to advertise its capabilities to the server.. this allows the
site to opt-in without burdening the rest of the web with the same
on-by-default header.

[1]
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-grigorik-http-client-hints-02#section-2.2.1