Re: CfC: Mixed Content to PR; deadline July 6th.

Hi Brad,

On 7/6/15 1:55 PM, Brad Hill wrote:
> Tanvi,
>
> 1) upgrade-insecure-requests does not cascade to child browsing
> contexts like iframes.  So if I want to guarantee that, e.g. an
> advertisement served in an iframe could never "break the lock" of the
> parent page (a common request from many resource operators)
upgrade-insecure-requests does cascade per
http://www.w3.org/TR/upgrade-insecure-requests/#nesting.  Firefox has
implemented this and it's close to landing.  Mike, does Chrome's
implementation enforce upgrades on nested contexts?

> 2) upgrade-insecure-requests also doesn't mandate that
> optionally-blockable mixed content be blocked if an upgrade fails.

I don't see any language in the spec distinguishing between blockable
and optionally-blockable content.  Firefox's implementation treats them
both the same.  If the upgrade fails, the resource doesn't load.  Mike,
can you comment on Chrome's implementation

> I think we could make the semantics of upgrade more strict, but
> they're really targeting different things.  "Upgrade" is really
> targeted to a resource I control with "hard-coded" links to other
> resources I'm pretty sure are available over https.  "Strict" is
> targeted for making sure that even 3rd party content I don't control,
> may not know about in advance, and which may not have secure
> equivalents available, can never will make an http request in the
> context of my resource or its child contexts.

Given the above, I think upgrade meets the use case you describe for
strict - it ensures that 3rd party content can never make an http
request in your context.