Re: CfC: Mixed Content to PR; deadline July 6th.

On Mon, Jul 6, 2015 at 5:00 PM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 6, 2015 at 4:51 PM, Mike West <mkwst@google.com> wrote:
> > Another option that I could live with would be to drop the concept from
> the
> > spec explicitly, and to simply rely on Fetch's "HTTPS State" in
> >
> https://w3c.github.io/webappsec/specs/mixedcontent/#should-block-response.
> > This has the practical effect of making it possible for Chrome to
> continue
> > our SHA-1 deprecation plans, simply deferring the conversation around
> > "deprecation" from MIX to Fetch. I'm not sure that's an improvement.
> WDYT,
> > Brian and Anne?
>
> It seems like a net improvement to ground things in primitives.

That's a reasonable argument.

> whether that primitive should exist... I'm kind of okay keeping it.
> TLS stack transitions are never really clean so giving user agents
> some leeway there seems fine.

1. If we drop the concept from MIX, it might be reasonable for Fetch to
give examples of the cases in which a Response's HTTPS State might be
"deprecated authentication".

2. WebSockets doesn't have a similar concept, which makes rewriting
https://w3c.github.io/webappsec/specs/mixedcontent/#websockets-integration
in terms of something else difficult.

-mike