Re: UPGRADE: 'HTTPS' header causing compatibility issues.

+1 for using "Prefer" header however using "Prefer:
upgrade-insecure-requests" only deals with the scenario when the server
will return a CSP header of upgrade-insecure-requests. What about the
scenario where the server will respond with an STS header?

I suggest "Prefer: Transport-Security" as that is effectively what the
client is asking for.

WRT caching, it seems to me that a server that supports the upgrade will do
a redirect when it first receives this header and should simply use
Cache-Control : no-store in the redirect response and never use the Vary
header anyway. It's likely that in the upgrade scenario this flow will only
happen once per client and so the value of caching this step is low.

Also, not sure why it's critical to drop a few bytes from the headers at
the expense of making this understandable?