Re: CSP: Drop IP-matching? (was Re: [CSP] URI/IRI normalization and comparison)

On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 10:42 AM, Joel Weinberger <jww@chromium.org> wrote:

> Not to add too much fuel to the fire here, but what if, for cleanliness,
> the spec did not allow *any* IP address, but did specify that user agents
> treat a src of localhost as equivalent to 127.0.0.1 and ::1?

If we decide to restrict IP addresses, that seems like a fine way of doing
it.

For me, the question is whether the window has already closed in which we
could have created such a restriction. Given that we've been shipping with
IPv4 support for ~2 years, it wouldn't surprise me if applications had come
to depend in one way or another on the behavior.

As I mentioned in an earlier email, data would help here.

-mike

--
Mike West <mkwst@google.com>, @mikewest

Google Germany GmbH, Dienerstrasse 12, 80331 München,
Germany, Registergericht und -nummer: Hamburg, HRB 86891, Sitz der
Gesellschaft: Hamburg, Geschäftsführer: Graham Law, Christine Elizabeth
Flores
(Sorry; I'm legally required to add this exciting detail to emails. Bleh.)