Re: Proposal: A pinning mechanism for CSP?

From: Mike West <mkwst@google.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2015 18:17:58 +0100
To: Jim Manico <jim.manico@owasp.org>
Cc: Frederik Braun <fbraun@mozilla.com>, "public-webappsec@w3.org" <public-webappsec@w3.org>, yan zhu <yan@mit.edu>, Chris Palmer <palmer@google.com>, Ryan Sleevi <sleevi@google.com>, Brad Hill <hillbrad@gmail.com>, Dan Veditz <dveditz@mozilla.com>
On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 6:11 PM, Jim Manico <jim.manico@owasp.org> wrote:

> We need to apply these headers differently per-page at times, so I say
> no to a manifest-like structure.

I think Freddy's proposal was related to the host-wide pinned items, not
the per-page CSP header.

Those pins could certainly fit into a manifest. Maybe that's even a good
idea!

The reason we've traditionally resisted going that route is that it would
involve either reducing the security of the initial request, or causing a
synchronous request to block loading a page. Neither seems like an awesome
tradeoff.

--
Mike West <mkwst@google.com>, @mikewest

Google Germany GmbH, Dienerstrasse 12, 80331 München,
Germany, Registergericht und -nummer: Hamburg, HRB 86891, Sitz der
Gesellschaft: Hamburg, Geschäftsführer: Graham Law, Christine Elizabeth
Flores
(Sorry; I'm legally required to add this exciting detail to emails. Bleh.)