Re: [Integrity] typos with ni URIs

On 14 January 2015 at 17:37, Brian Smith <brian@briansmith.org> wrote:
>>   "The digest value MUST be encoded using the base64url
>>
>>    [RFC4648] encoding, with no "=" padding characters."
>
> The specification shouldn't forbid the "=" padding characters. The
> fact that the draft specification has included the padding multiple
> times is good evidence that authors are going to include the padding
> too. It is trivial for an implementation to strip the padding. The
> specification should be changed to allow the padding and to require
> implementations to strip it. This would make the spec more "webby" and
> author-friendly.

I know a lot of base64 libs accept the '+/' and '-_' variants
interchangeably as well.  Is that something that should be accepted or
not?

For new stuff, I consider Postel's "accept any old trash" maxim as bad
advice; and generally consider it to be fatalistic when it comes to
old junk, recogizing the that at some point correctness has to yield
to interoperability.  Is ni:// that decrepit already?