Re: BIKESHED: Rename "Powerful features"?

On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 4:49 PM, Mark Watson <watsonm@netflix.com> wrote:

> I'm sorry you feel this is a "bikeshed"

That was supposed to be a joke. :) I thought your concerns were reasonable,
and I think it's worth bringing them back to the group explicitly.

> - the objective is to *avoid* future pointless nebulous discussions of the
> kind "is X 'powerful' ?" in favor of a more concrete "does X require a
> secure context ?". "Secure context" is a term we can own and define
> rigorously, "powerful" is not.

I think you underestimate the ability of people to argue about terms. :)
"Secure" is certainly something that folks can and will debate. See, for
instance, the long, long threads discussing opportunistic encryption. Is
that secure? I certainly have an opinion, and I know completely reasonable
folks who completely disagree with me.

> You could reasonably drop the qualifier "sufficiently" on the grounds that
> we don't generally bother writing specs for things that are "insufficient"
> and you could name the section "Features requiring secure contexts".

I think at some point we need to accept that we're defining a term. If it's
the case that defining "sufficiently secure" is as likely to cause debate
as defining "powerful feature", then let's leave things as they are,
because "POWER" is a totally radical name for a spec.

--
Mike West <mkwst@google.com>, @mikewest

Google Germany GmbH, Dienerstrasse 12, 80331 München,
Germany, Registergericht und -nummer: Hamburg, HRB 86891, Sitz der
Gesellschaft: Hamburg, Geschäftsführer: Graham Law, Christine Elizabeth
Flores
(Sorry; I'm legally required to add this exciting detail to emails. Bleh.)