Re: Upgrade mixed content URLs through HTTP header

On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 4:47 PM, Mike West <mkwst@google.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 4:39 PM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl> wrote:
>> Equivalent, but not identical. My proposal would be to upgrade in
>> Fetch similar to HSTS so that any scripts are not affected by URLs
>> changing.
>
> Hrm. So the result would be the same as a redirect? The document would have
> an insecure URL, but we'd end up making a secure request?

Somewhat and yes. (Redirect seems like the wrong analogy since there's
no insecurity involved.)

> That said, I'm not sure it actually solves W3C's concern, as it would leave
> legacy clients out in the cold. The only way to support clients that don't
> support the thing we haven't implemented yet would be to alter the links at
> the source. I totally understand that that's difficult, but it seems
> essential.

Yeah, this would only work if all browsers upgrade (or enough for
sites to start using it). So it would help with the long tail of
non-TLS properties, not those at the forefront.

--
https://annevankesteren.nl/